Saturday, January 5, 2008

My Knitting Blog

Well, here's a knitting blog. I want somewhere to log my progress from beginner onwards. Also to show off all the cute stuff I have been knitting. Who'd have thought the knitting would be so addictive!!

I learned to knit probably around age 11/12 from my mother. She taught me and my brother at the same time (he would have been 13 or so), and he was much more into it than me and made a glorious Dr Who scarf :) I dont remember ever managing to knit something without passing it to my mother every few rows to pick up a dropped stitch or repair some damage or other. I did manage to knit a pair of fingerless gloves on 4 needles though!

So, no knitting since then. I have several (mostly virtual) knitting friends and have been intrigued at their discussions of yarn addictions, glorious projects and beautiful end products. I even witnessed the construction of a mobius scarf once. But always busy with my crafty business, I knew I didnt have time to get absorbed in another activity. And now thats been shelved, I have time to do whatever I want. So I started knitting again at the age of 40!

So off I go to the shop and bought chunky denim wool and chunky needles, learnt to cast on from www.knittinghelp.com videos and off I went. I was pretty much a sampler in which I relearned stocking stitch, garter stitch and ribbing. It grew quickly and I wear it all the time. I must remember to thread in all the loose ends though!

Oh and heres a photo....


After that, I discovered Jean Greenhowe....a new post for that I think :)

No comments: