Wednesday, May 21, 2008

My First Lace Project

I finished something! This is the lovely summery vest top with a bit of lace at the bottom I did with the DB Cathay yarn. Its called Soleil and is from knitty. Heaven to knit with (although a bit splitty), it was a perfect first lace project as it wasnt too arduous and once it was done, it was straight stocking stitch in the round. I really enjoyed knitting it. It fits too, although it does feel a bit 'chunky' in this gauge. I imagine it would look smarter in a thinner yarn. But I wore it today, and really enjoyed knowing I was wearing something I made. Yay!

Now I have about 8 skeins of Cathay left over, since I bought enough for a big sweater, so have to decide what to do with it. I am thinking it might lend itself to a really slinky Clapotis, but that might be because I am totally in love with the other one I am making (in Louisa Harding Grace) because I have got to the dropped stitch part......woot!! Such fun. Its true, I am sad!

7 comments:

annemarie said...

I just came upon your blog and love it - you are so talented. I am a novice knitter but you inspire me. I want to try the darling cupcakes. I noticed one of the comments mentioned an error. Is the pattern corrected - I would never spot an error that is for sure - wish me luck and thanks for the info on what yarn to use. Anne

annemarie said...

Here I am again - sorry to bother your but in the cupcake pattern what does stst and stst2 mean - does it just mean knit a row, purl a row etc.? I told you I am a novice!! This probably seem so obvious to you. Thanking you again - Anne

Bee said...

Hi Annemarie, thanks for your kind comments :) I only started knitting properly about 6 months ago, it is amazing how quickly you will get the hang of all the jargon etc.

Yes, stst means stocking stitch, so one row knit and one row purl, so stst2 would be 2 rows of stocking stitch, so one knit and one purl :)

The pattern has now been corrected, thanks to the lovely woolwinder who found all my errors :)

Have fun, and send me a pic when you have done a little cake!

Bee

annemarie said...

Thank you so much for your reply. I sure hope I can knit like you do in six short months!! I have one more quick question and then will not bother you anymore. On the cupcake case, you say to pick up 28 stitches. Do you mean 28 stitches evenly spaced along the length of the garter sts? I assume this is what you do or am I wrong. Thanks again - Anne

Bee said...

Yes, you are exactly right, just pick up stitches evenly along the row ends of the garterstitch strip. It doesnt really matter if it is exactly 28 or not....I dont count them :)

Good luck :)

Bee

annemarie said...

Thanks so much for all your help. I noticed your cupcakes on wool windings blog also - she is from Texas just as I am - guess Texans love BeeKnits. Your knitting is such an inspiration to me. Hope you have a great week - Anne

Tracy Batchelder said...

It looks great on you! The lace is very pretty.